Sunday, February 3, 2008

I've been working here a little over a week! It's been hard, but very rewarding. The weather's also been a bit funny to figure out. 4 days ago all the snow had melted and left the ground soggy and wet- 3 days ago we got 12 inches of snow! Tempel Farms spreads across acres and acres and you are just surrounded in fields of white. There are a group of 20+ deer who roam around the property and it is neat to see them contrasted against the snow. The heaters work wonderfully in both my cabin and in the facility, of which I am more than grateful.

A normal day consists of waking up at 5:30 in order to be in the barns at 6. We usually start by turning some horses out (BRRR!), hand walking some horses, sweeping, and watering. At about 8:30 Jochen and his wife come down to start riding. For the next couple of hours I am mostly tacking/untacking horses for both of them while lunging some horses and riding a few of the lipizzans. Consistently I've been riding a 4yr old bay stallion who was just broke this week, a really really hot mare (who is for sale- any takers?), and another 6 yr old I think. They are all pretty fun. After lunch, I start helping tack/untack horses in the warmblood barn. There is also feeding, sweeping, and more watering to be done. Finally, at usually 3:30 or so, comes the best part of my day; when I get to ride Caruso. 

This week I've been able to get lessons from Jochen everyday. He is usually doing other things in the process, but he is an exceptionally good multi-tasker. Like always, we've been really focusing on stretching him over his back, suppling him, and bending him. Always after the bending and suppling I must give and be soft, allowing Caruso to stretch himself- not that I am pulling him into a frame. We've also been doing some work over the cavalettis this week, which is really fun as well- all for the sake of getting Caruso to use his back. It's funny how boring it sounds- we've just been doing one thing- but Caruso loves it and really relaxes. Jochen rode him the other day for a little bit which was so great to watch. He said what happens is Caruso comes a little bit against and high and tight in his neck, resulting in him shutting down his body and bracing. Naturally when I ask with my aids he is slow to respond because his body is braced against them. Pushing a horse that is braced results in running- in speed. He said it is not until he uses his back in a relaxed way that he will naturally respond in a forward way that is appropriate. We don't push our horses, we ask and allow. His muscles should be soft and loose. I lunged him the other day and could see what he meant. In the end- when he was relaxed and stretching he was going on his own- I did not have to crack the whip or cluck constantly. It was somewhat of a revelation.  I find I learn so much from watching. Some days I'll be riding in the ring and 2 people are practicing piaffe and passage. I just absorb whatever I can. I've also been watching a lot of Steffen Peters. He does the same kind of suppling and stretching. He is really good. His horses are so happy and willing to work. That is the most important thing. 

If only Hearthstone was close by......... 

No comments: