If only I could buy a mousetrap that was equally as cunning.
I have been here a whole month already, which signifies the longest I've ever been away from home. It's scary to think about, but its equally as empowering. This week has been pretty significant I guess you could say. First of all, it's been a week since I filled up my gas tank and I still have 1/4 tank left. So, there's that. Secondly, I found out officially that I'll be riding in the Lippizan performances they put on. There is one in Indiana the first week in April and then there are the ones taking place here in the summer- that doesn't make me nervous at all....Lets see, what else. I've been learning how to long line, which is pretty fun. Jochen long lined Caruso on Thursday and they worked on half steps. Jochen was really impressed. So was Caruso too I guess. He said he possesses a "natural talent for piaffe and passage," which "not many horses have." So, there's my 2 seconds to brag. So, that was exciting, although, Rebekah and Hans already could of told you that...
The riding this week has been great- I've started riding more horses which is always fun. I've also started reading more. I finally got that book "Dressage Masters." Like "Klaus Balkehol: A Man and His Training Meathods," it has a lot of wonderful stuff to say but more importantly it has wonderful pictures, and as we all know- they are worth a thousand words. I am constantly filling my brain with beautiful pictures and video of fabulous riding in hopes that one day my body will magically say "oh, I see, that's how it feels it should look!" I was reading the other day what Klaus has to say about teaching, that one must never "fundamentally alter a students individual riding characteristics." I thought it was fascinating to think that we all have individuality as riders, that there is not just one mold of which we must fit. Maybe, with some luck, I'll become a hybrid of Klaus, Isabell, and Steffen....or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
Little by little the pieces begin to fall into place, and little by little me and Caruso begin to understand. I've begun to feel more and more a horse that is connected equally in my leg, seat, and hand, I've begun to feel more and more how much easier it is to perform movements when everything is equally connected, and I've begun to realize more and more how each individual movement has a purpose. It was such a wonderful revelation too. Every movement is used as a means of training, as a means of connecting, and therefore when we are riding we are always training- and always connecting. Everything we do has a purpose behind it, and we can use the movements accordingly. I only wish I knew exactly how. We use shoulder in the most, not solely for the purpose of "riding a shoulder in," but we use it as a means to create bend and connect their hind end under- that they work through their bodies, and ultimately push up and use their backs. Again, they must mold around our legs and yield from them. My hands never pull, but they can lead if they need to- in order to guide the horse around my seat and leg- to show them the bend. When I have that feeling of suppleness through their bodies it is so easy then to keep them straight- when they are equally connected on my seat bones, I feel their body perfectly centered between my legs, and I feel their back pushing up and engaging. Then it becomes much easier to collect. In reading a lot of Steffen Peters he is very clear that in the beginning of creating suppleness you must forfeit a lot of the engagement behind- that comes later, after his horses are supple. He is also very clear that in using your leg, you use the whole leg, from the thigh to below the knee. Using my leg doesn't just mean pressing my calf in his side as hard as I can with my knee pointed out, but rather my leg as a unit works to create the bend.
On a more personal note, I'm beginning to find that I learn more by becoming more assertive; not hoping something that feels wrong looks good, but trying new things, making a lot of mistakes, and trying again. I should trust my instincts, act on them, and learn to develop my individuality in riding. I am here to learn after all, and I will make a million mistakes before I find that feeling of the great masters in the pictures. But I will.
1 comment:
1Hi Andy
Every week or so I check to see if you've changed your blog. Your writing is tremendous fun to read and I like knowing how your are doing. Yes, it is very dreary and cold during the winter in the north. That's why I was happy to move out of PA but summers are very easy to handle, unlike TX and FL so hang in there.
Please do not underestimate what you know. Occassionally you need to look behind you and see how far you've come. Don't always be looking ahead to see how far you have to go, because when you do that, you short change yourself.
You are growing a lot right now. Pretty soon you'll be surprise to see how much.
Take care. We talk about you and think about you alot.
Lynnette
p.s. I see that Linda has sent a comment. Her Lippazan has arrived. Catherine was riding him yesterday and he looked like he might be fun to ride, so good for Linda, except she showed up at the barn yesterday (Saturday) with a broken elbow! (not horse related)So she's sitting it out for a few weeks.
P.S/P.S
Sarah got hurt really badly on Beaumont. He bolt and threw her. She was unconscious for some minutes and was sent to the ICU. She's still in the hospital but it now sounds like she'll be ok. Rebekah says Beaumont is out of chances and he's out of the barn which apparently is ok with Sarah as I heard she won't get on him again. If they can find someone like Juan, the jumper rider to take him fine...if not,......
Post a Comment