Friday, August 28, 2009

I just got my USDF Connection magazine in the mail today and it is quite possibly the best one I have ever read.

Firstly there is an article on Steffen Peters schooling Ravel before the World Cup. Steffen Peters. Ravel. The best! I love his calm, methodical approach to riding. One day....

Then there was this article on Courtney King-Dye. Now, let me tell you something about this article. I read it and I wanted to cry- cry because I feel like there are so many parallels between her life and mine and she came out on top. It made me think about how even though everyone's life is so different, they are so much the same. It's nice knowing that you aren't alone in the world. This business is tough. Real tough. I think it's important to have people you aspire to ride like but I think it's equally important to have real role models to look up to. I have a lot of respect for Courtney and she's one hell of a rider.

One thing she said that really resonated with me was:

"If something isn't working, change it. No one will change it for you. And don't be afraid that changing is quitting."

Amen. There was something so empowering about reading this for me. Trust your gut and be fearless. Got that Andy?

I think I've learned from my time up here that it is very rare to find people that have your best interests in mind and I have to be damn grateful for those people who do. But someone can't hold my hand forever. If something isn't working "no one will change it for you."

Preach it.

2 comments:

tphil said...

Amen to that. How wonderful that you can articulate your learning and recognize encouragement when you see it. The amazing part is that it is really all around you.

Anonymous said...

I read those articles as well and I agree, it was the best Dressage Connection I had received in a long while. Andy, one thing I am learning in this crazy stuff called dressage; you and only you truly know your horse and if you think that maybe something needs to be done differently then you need to stick to your guns. It is so easy not to trust our own God given instincts but He gave them to us for a reason!!! Go with it, sweetie! Jerry