Expect the unexpected; Life's mantra.
My dearest Caruso was happily playing in his turnout when I left him on Thursday only to be pitifully sulking in his stall a couple hours later. After having a little too much fun outside, he managed to somehow fracture his jaw. I took him to the vet and they took a bunch of x-rays. Thankfully, they didn't have to do surgery. It could have been a lot worse. Like any bone, it will just take time to get better. Poor thing. So far he's doing alright. He's on a couple different medications. Today he was managing to eat a lot better than yesterday, which is great. So, if all goes well the vet will check him again in 6 weeks....
Needless to say I can't ride him until then, and needless to say this does push back any plans I had made for at least 6 weeks. It's okay, I just hope he gets better!
I do find myself in an all too familiar place though. Waiting waiting waiting. Almost there but not even close. If I had known in September that I would have been here through April I think I would have driven through a building. But I didn't know. I kept living month to month, week to week, day to day, hoping that one day soon I could take a step forward in the right direction. At least now I know where I'm headed, I just have to wait to get there.
It reminds me of a dream I've had dozens of times. I arrive at the barn. I'm excited about my lesson. I get my horse out to get it ready. I brush it. Tack it up. I'm running behind. My lesson was supposed to start already. I'm afraid I'm going to miss it. I'm hurrying to get ready but I never can. Someone distracts me, I put the saddle on wrong, I forget my boots, I forget my gloves. It's too late. I never get on the horse. I wake up.
I guess I'm not supposed to leave Houston yet........
the question is, why the heck not?
1 comment:
Why indeed...I guess that means you'll get to see us when we come for a wedding on the 12th! I'm glad Caruso's gonna be okay.
I wish I'd caught a giant squid.
Post a Comment