Dear planet earth,
What gives? Why do you have to be so hot and humid all of the sudden? You should really try easing us into the summer instead of going from a cool spring into a blazing heat wave. Show some more consideration next time, if it's at all possible. Great.
Sincerely Yours,
Andy
I almost passed out today. True story. We wear these heavy coats for the performance that don't breathe at all and it was cooking me slowly. Not to mention we've had 90% humidity all week. It reminds me of Houston.
Today was our 3rd performance....19 left? Wednesdays start at 10:30 and Sundays are at 1:00. Wednesdays have me waking up at 4:00 in order to start work at 5 and Sundays we don't start until 7:00. Like normal, we usually turnout horses and do some hand walks first thing. Next we start the unending task of bathing all 20 or so horses for the performance. Every Wednesday and Sunday. The horses never stay white. That takes roughly 2 hours or so with 2 wash racks. Then we set out all the bridles, saddles, polo wraps, long lines, etc, in front of the horses stalls and try to keep an eye on them making sure they don't decide to roll. Normally, when that's done, we start tacking them up. Meanwhile, we help tack up horses for Sarah and Jochen, who try to get through their training horses before the performance starts. About an hour and a half before the show I start riding 2 horses that need to be warmed up before the performance starts. I also braid and tie up on of the airs horses' tail. We get on our first set of horses about 10 minutes before . The whole show we are all handing off horses and hopping on others. No one does this more than Jochen. I don't know how he survives, especially in the heat and humidity. Then we are done around 1.5-2 hours later. Then, we all crash.
This past week I've been super easy on Caruso. He doesn't do so well in the heat and I'm paranoid he's going to colic. He gets stretched down and hand walked a lot.
Summer is officially here and I'm eating gallons of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
1 comment:
I hope its blue bell
Post a Comment